The Loving Neighbor

I awoke in pain, face down in the dust, with a splitting headache. My head hurt so badly that I thought I would be sick. My arms burned with scratches and cuts; my ribs ached; and my legs hurt so much from the knees down that I knew I would not be able to stand. And then came the realization that I was naked. The rocky ground beneath my chest and lower body felt like a bed of broken glass. The heat of the sun felt like a blanket of tiny coals on my back. I slowly pushed my head and chest up on my weak, shaking arms, wretched convulsively, and then fell back on my side. I tried to curl up to hide my nakedness, but every muscle and bit of skin screamed with pain. I could do nothing by lie there, and pray.


It seemed that I lay there for some time on the road from Jerusalem to Jericho when I heard approaching foot steps. I opened my swollen eyes as much as I could, and recognized the garments of a priest. I raised my trembling left arm and appealed to him with my open hand. I saw his contorted face as he gazed down upon me, disgust clearly etched in the furors of his brow. He merely grunted at me, and walked on.


My arm fell back to my battered side and I closed my eyes in pain and sadness. I may have fallen asleep; I am not sure. Then, once again, I heard leather of sandals slapping hard ground. I was barely able to squint through eye lids that seemed unable to open, and recognized a Levite passing me by on the other side of the road. I could only raise my left hand in appeal. He did not even look at me, but kept his chin high and his face set toward his destination.


Wracked with pain and filled with despair I wept as I called out, "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? I am a son of your servant Jacob, son of Issac, son of Abraham, to whom you made a promise to bless his seed. I obey thy commandments; I keep your Sabbath; I give of the first fruits of my labors. I, therefore, beseech thee, oh my God, my Father, please send help to thy servant." I turned my face to the dust in supplication, cried a few moments, and then went to sleep.


When I next awoke I was lying on my back, my body covered with someone's traveling cloak, a strong hand cradling my head, and water passing between my parched lips. I choked as the water got caught in my dry throat, and looked up into the eyes of a concerned face. "Take it easy, friend. Drink slowly. You are going to be alright." I instantly recognized the accent, and marveled that a Samaritan, one of those people who care not for Jews, was my savior. I drank a little more water, and then my rescuer gently laid my head down on a soft pillow made from a rolled up garment. Through tired eyes I watched the man as he went to his ass to retrieve some oil and ointment which he used, along with torn pieces of his own clothes, to treat my wounds. Once he had done as much as he could, he helped me to stand upon my shaking legs, and then to sit upon his animal. We then set out for the nearest village. There he summoned the inn keeper to help him get me into a bed, and gave me a little meat and some wine. As I fell asleep in a soft, safe bed, I heard the man tell the inn keeper, "Take care of him. I shall be back this way in a couple of weeks. If you spend more than this in his care, I shall pay you the balance at that time." He then disappeared, and I fell into a healing sleep.


Friends and relatives of mine, having realized that I never reached my destination, came looking for me. Their joy of finding me alive was equaled by their amazement when I told them that it was a Samaritan who had saved my life. Together we gave thanks and praise to God, and marveled at his amazing ways in caring for those who call upon his Holy name. We then thanked the inn keeper for his care, and departed for our home. I never again saw the man who had come to my aid in my hour of distress; I never even knew his name. I only know that he was a Samaritan. Therefore, from that day forward, I consider all Samaritans to by my good neighbors. And I show to them the same love that almighty God shows to me.


May His name be praised and glorified now and forever. Amen.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Faithless Church-Goers

Jewish Resistance to the Gospel

The Navigator