The Power of Authority

Scripture reference: Matthew 8:5-13

My name is Marcus Giaus Marcellus. I was born in the city of Tyre, and was raised in the city of Ceasarea. I am the only son of a guard of the Summer Palace of King Herod. My mother is a weaver of fine linen used in the king's palace. My father died of a fever when I was twelve years old. At that time my mother turned me over to the captain of the palace guard to train me in the ways of a man and a soldier. I lived with him for the next four years.

I enjoyed my life among the men of the guard. I got pleasure from the games and activities we participated in. My master had one of the men under him teach me to read and write Greek. I also received instruction in math, science, growing crops, the names and cycles of the stars and planets, riding a horse, and sailing a boat. I grew strong in body and mind, and brought honor to my guardian and his company.

My experiences with the guard unit taught me about authority and discipline. The ways of a group with a common cause are guided by respect and concern for for one another, as well as respect for the leader of the group. It became clear to me that having authority involves respect, responsibility, and humility. These characteristics are important in the leader as well as those who are led.

When I turned sixteen, the age of majority, I became a member of the guard. I worked hard and proved myself in every task I was given. As a result I was promoted, and finally became a centurion. That means I was put in charge of my own company of one hundred men. I was assigned to the city of Capernaum as a base from which to patrol the roads and villages. My duty was to protect the citizens from the bandits and rebels which greatly troubled the region.

Shortly after arriving in Capernaum, a woman came to see me. She was recently widowed with a twelve year old son. She asked me to take the boy into my household as my servant so that he would have the company and training of men. I could not help but remember how I had felt when I was in his situation. As I found the boy pleasing and healthy, I took him as my personal servant. I planned to give him the same opportunities I had been given, and help him to become the man I had become.

As the months past, I became very fond of the boy, and found him to be not only of great service, but a joy to have in my house. Therefore I was filled with great sorrow and fear for the boy's life when he developed a fever which caused great suffering to the point he could not even stand. He was so important to my life that I was willing to do whatever would be required of me to save his life.

Having heard from the local residents of Capernaum of a man who could heal the sick, I made up mind to go to see him to implore him to command that my servant be healed. I cannot clearly explain why, but I was completely certain that this man some where calling the Christ could heal my beloved servant. Therefore it was with complete confidence that I set out early in the morning to find the man Jesus.

When I came upon Jesus as he entered the city, I went down on one knee before him and said, "My Lord, my beloved servant lies at home paralysed with a fever and in great suffering."

Jesus said he would go with me to my home immediately. But I said unto him, "My Lord, I do not deserve to have you come under my roof. But just say the word and my servant will be healed. For I myself am a man under authority, with soldiers under me. I tell this one, 'Go,' and he goes; and that one, 'Come,' and the comes. I say to my servant, 'Do this,' and he soes it."

Jesus then spoke to the crowd around him and said, "I tell you the truth, I have not found anyone in Israel with such great faith. I say to you that many will come from the east and the west, and will take their places at the feast with Abraham, Isaac and Jacob in the kingdome of heaven. But the subjects of the kingdom will be thrown outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth."

Then Jesus said to me, "Go! It will be done just as you believed it would."

As I rose to thank him and take my leave, I noted the hour of the sun. When I returned to my house, I found my servant out of bed, and at his regular household tasks. He was completely healed. When I asked my house manager when the boy had gotten up, the time he told me was exactly the same as when Jesus had granted my request.

From that day forward I and my entire household worshiped the God of Jesus the Christ. And I used my own monies to build a place of worship in Capernaum where I and others who believe in Jesus gather to praise his name, and study his teachings. And I am very proud to say that my boy has become of leader of our group, and is no longer my servant, but a servant of our Lord Jesus.

May the grace of God, the love of Jesus Christ, and the peace of the Holy Spirit be with you. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Faithless Church-Goers

Jewish Resistance to the Gospel

The Navigator