The Prophet, The Woman, and The Boy

Scripture reference: 2 Kings 4:8-37

In my many years as a woman of Shunem I have served my people with the talents and wisdom such as God has given to me. For that reason I have some standing and reputation for greatness among them, but it is of God and not of me. Even still, I never conceived. Therefore, my husband and I were without child, and were great in years.

Now there came a day when a man would regularly pass by my home, and I perceived that he was a great man of God. I invited him to come into my home and let me feed him. This he did every time he passed my way. So I compelled my husband to build a small room onto our home, and furnished it with a bed, a stool, and a candlestick. Then when the man of God next passed by I invited him to stay the night with us. This he did, and whenever he came to Shunem.

One day when this man of God was staying in my home, he sent his man servant to summon me to him. When I stood in the door to his room, he said that since I had been nice to him, he wanted to know if I wanted something of the King or the Captain of the guard. I told him that the people I live among take care of me just fine. His man servant then spoke with him in their tongue. So I returned to my chores.

A short time later the man servant compelled me again to go to the man of God. As I stood in the door to his room, he told me that a year later I would be with child, and have a son. I scolded him for saying such a thing to an old woman with an old husband, for he was a man of God and should not lie. He insisted that as a man of God he did not lie.

A year later I did conceive and bring forth a son, just as the man of God had said. I was very happy, and my husband also. We raised up the boy and taught him all that a boy should know, including how to work in the field with his father. It was on one such day when he was with his father in the field that he complained of a head ache. A servant brought him to the house, and I held him on my lap. There he died.

I took the body of my son and placed it on the bed of the man of God in the room my husband had made for him. By way of a messenger I compelled my husband to send a young man and a donkey to me. When my husband asked where I was going, I simply told him not to worry, all would be well. So I set off and traveled to see the man of God as he was on Mount Carmel. There I feel at his feet and reminded him that he said he did not lie when he said I should have a son. Perceiving what I meant, he and his servant went back to my home with me.

Upon arriving at my house the man of God first laid his staff on the face of my son, and then laid his body upon the boy. Placing his mouth on the boy's mouth, and his eyes on the boy's eyes, and pressing his body to that of the boy, the man of God lay there with my son. Then the boy's body became warm with life, and he sneezed seven times.

I knelt down at the man of God's feet, bowed my face to the ground, and thanked him and his God. I then took my son in my arms and left the room with great joy. And the man of God and his servant went their way, for they serve God.

May the God who gives life to the dead be praised and glorified forever. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Faithless Church-Goers

Jewish Resistance to the Gospel

The Navigator